- NEWS SOPRIS HIKERS RESCUED
Carbondale—Two older men from Kansas got lost hiking around Mount Sopris last night and needed a rescue team escort back to the trailhead. Pitkin County Dispatchers got a call around 6:30 from a 65 year old man who said he and his friend were east of Thomas Lakes and were struggling to get ...
- NEWS WESTERN SLOPE PASTOR ON TREASURE HUNT, MISSING
Grand Junction— Authorities say a pastor from Grand Junction who has been reported missing in New Mexico was searching for a famous hidden treasure. New Mexico State Police Lt. Elizabeth Armijo confirmed family members told authorities that Paris Wallace had come to the Espanola area to search for a chest ...
- NEWS DEAD DOG FIRE TRIPLES IN SIZE
CRAIG— (AP) – One of two large wildfires burning in northwestern Colorado has grown to more than 17,000 acres but firefighters have managed to contain 10 percent of the fire. Wind gusts of over 70 mph on Monday fueled the growth of the Dead Dog Fire north of Rangely.
MUNICH SHOOTER ...
- Nine Rafters Rescued from Roaring Fork River Seven adults and two children were rescued by emergency responders from the Roaring Fork River today. According to a press release from the Carbondale & Rural Fire Protection District, the group’s raft became stuck under logs near Aspen Glen and the occupants of the raft subsequently became stranded on a small island.
Rescuers were able ...
- NEWS GARCO BOARD ENDORSES WATER RIGHTS BILL
Glenwood Springs—With a unanimous vote this morning, the Garfield County Board of Commissioners ratified a letter of support for a federal bill to protect water rights. Commissioner Tom Jankovsky says Congressman Scott Tipton’s “Water Rights Preservation Act” is an important piece of legislation that would save millions of dollars for ...
- NEWS FLAGS AT HALF STAFF FOR GJ NAVY SEAL
Grand Junction—In honor of the Navy SEAL from Grand Junction who was killed two weeks ago in a parachuting accident, flags on state buildings have been lowered to half staff. 27 year old Remington J. Peters died during a Memorial Day parachute demonstration over the Hudson River. The ...
- NEWS COAL SEAM FIRE ANNIVERSARY
Glenwood Springs—15 years ago today the Coal Seam Fire erupted in South Canyon. The summer of 2002 was one of the worst wildfire seasons in state history due to severe drought, searing heat and on June 8th 2002, sustained winds of 30 to 40 miles an hour that sent flames up Red Mountain ...
- NEWS 2017 WILDFIRE OUTLOOK
Rifle—A sneak peek into Western Colorado’s wildfire season will be held tomorrow at the Rifle-Garfield County Airport. The Upper Colorado River Interagency Fire and Aviation Unit will give updates and preview the 2017 wildfire season for the nearly six million acres of land covered by the unit from the Continental Divide to the ...
- NEWS GLENWOOD TEEN CHARGED IN FATAL DUI CRASH
Glenwood Springs—A Glenwood Springs teen is facing a long prison sentence for a drunk driving crash that killed a Carbondale girl last month. 19 year old Gerardo Banda was officially charged with two counts of vehicular homicide for the May 14th rollover accident on Thompson Creek Road near Carbondale ...
- NEWS CONTROLLED BURN GETS OUT OF CONTROL, KICKS UP HEAVY SMOKE
New Castle—A lot of folks from New Castle to Rifle had to shut their windows last night because of heavy smoke. It was coming from a controlled burn that quickly got out of control on County Road 311 between New Castle and Silt. According to reports from ...
- SPORTS BRONCOS SIGN A NEW PLAYER
ENGLEWOOD (AP) – The Denver Broncos have signed six-year veteran cornerback Chris Lewis-Harris and waived cornerbackTaurean Nixon 24 hours after his pick-6 of Paxton Lynch at the team’s mandatory minicamp. Lewis-Harris spent four full seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals before splitting last season between the Bengals and Baltimore Ravens.
Broncos coach Vance Joseph ...
- NEWS LOCAL BASEBALL PLAYERS EARN POST SEASON HONORS
4A Western Slope 1st team All Conference
Glenwood Springs Demons
Sebastian “Chano” Gonzalez, SS /Pitcher Tyler Boyd, 2B
Takoda Cheney, Pitcher/INF Bryer Rew, INF Gabe Marbas, Catcher
Brandon Benzel, 1B
Derek Wagler, SS Drake Montgomery, OF
MLB / ROCKIES
PHILADELPHIA (AP) – Tommy Joseph hit a tying ...
- SPORTS GIRLS HIGH SCHOOL SOCCER PLAYOFFS–4A
Pueblo Centennial—3 Glenwood Springs—2
#17 Coal Ridge vs. # 16Resurrection Christian at Jefferson Academy, Friday, May 12th 5pm
#19 Basalt vs. # 14 Salida at Manitou Springs High School, Friday, May 12th 6pm
#21 Aspen vs. # 13 Middle Park at Liberty Common, Friday, May 12th
HIGH SCHOOL ...
- KMTS BASEBALL: DEMONS, HUSKIES PLAY FREEZE-TAG IN SPLIT EDWARDS (4/29/17) – Baseball in December? Two days from May, and it felt like winter ball as Glenwood Springs and Battle Mountain split an error-plagued doubleheader where it was 32 degrees at first pitch of game one, and snowing by the time Chano Gonzalez struck out the final hitter in an 18-4, five-inning Demon victory ...
- SPORTS HIGH SCHOOL BASEBALL
Roaring Fork travels to Coal Ridge for a 3 o’clock game this afternoon. The game will be broadcast live on the internet at KMTS.com and rebroadcast on the radio at 7 pm.
Rifle—The Rifle Invitational tees off at 10 am at Rifle Creek.
Aspen takes on Glenwood at the Glenwood Springs Community Center at ...
- KMTS Baseball: SUMMIT SWEEPS GLENWOOD OUT OF FIRST GLENWOOD SPRINGS(4/8/17) – Gathered inside the announcer’s booth to eat their lunch and get out of the wind between games of a doubleheader they would eventually drop to Summit County, several Glenwood Springs’ baseball players shook their heads in agreement on Tiger pitcher Andrew Shaw, who had just fired a 3-hit, 15-strikeout shutout: he was ...
- KMTS BASEBALL: Romero Hurls Demons into First Place Tie GLENWOOD SPRINGS (4/5) – Steven Romero unveiled a new pitch in a 6-0 win over Eagle Valley, using a swift-breaking curveball to record six of his nine strikeouts, handing the Devils their first league loss and vaulting Glenwood Springs on top of the Western Slope League with a 3-0 record.
Tristen Howe’s 2-run double capped a ...
- SPORTS HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
Glenwood at Vail Mountain 4 pm
Glenwood at Fruita Monument 5 pm
Coal Ridge at Roaring Fork 4 pm
Basalt at Vail Christian 3 pm
Hotchkiss at Coal Ridge 4pm
Rangely at Grand Valley 4pm
Meeker at Roaring ...
- SPORTS HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS SCHEDULE
Roaring Fork at Hotchkiss 4 pm
Steamboat at Glenwood Springs 4 pm
Glenwood at Palisade 4 pm
Roaring Fork at Rifle 4 pm
Montrose at Coal Ridge 4 pm
MORE BAD NEWS FOR THE ROCKIES
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) – Colorado Rockies catcher Tom Murphy will miss four to six weeks with a hairline fracture in his right forearm. Manager ...
- SPORTS LONGHORNS LOSE HEARTBREAKING GREAT 8 GAME
STATE 3A BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT
Denver—The magical 2016-17 season for the Basalt Longhorns came to end last night at the University of Denver’s Hamilton Gymnasium. The 9th seeded Longhorns, led by Western Slope League Player of the Year Michael Glen’s 31 points, had the Kent Denver Sun Devils on their heels most ...