FROM THE KMTS NEWSROOM… (03/03/2011)

Glenwood Springs–The Glenwood Springs City Council will tackle a busy agenda
tonight that includes medical marijuana regulations, the South Bridge project
and the city’s comprehensive plan. The council will also discuss a proposed
golf driving range near the community center. The meeting begins at 7.
Basalt–A Basalt man is behind bars for allegedly breaking into several
unlocked vehicles and stealing wallets and other items. 21 year old
Michael Cline reportedly confessed to police, saying he was broke
and hungry.
State Capitol–Colorado agencies supported by taxpayer dollars
say they can’t afford less per diem money being proposed by
state lawmakers. A bill is being introduced in response to
Pinnacol Assurance’s lavish golf outing at Pebble Beach last
year.
Golden–It’s time to redraw congressional district boundaries. State
lawmakers are holding public hearings across the state to get
feedback on how those districts should be divided. They hope to
agree on the boundaries by the end of the legislative session.

BURLINGTON, Colo. (AP) – Friends in the town of Burlington are
reacting with shock to the news that a 12-year-old boy is in
custody after his parents were found dead and two of his younger
siblings wounded.
Warrants have been sealed and authorities aren’t discussing
possible motives. Investigators have referred the case to
prosecutors for possible filing of charges.
Investigators say the 12-year-old boy call 911 Tuesday evening
to report a shooting. Officers arrived to find the bodies of
Charles and Marilyn Long. Two of their children – a 5-year-old girl
and a 9-year-old boy – were wounded.
Family members are hopeful the children will recover.
Friends and members of the family’s church say the 12-year-old
often volunteered to help at church. Pastor Ron Lee describes him
as a “good spirit, a good kid.”
Lee said there weren’t any changes in jobs, housing, or
schooling that the family talked about or any outward signs that
might give a clue to what happened.

AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colo. (AP) – Army Staff Sgt. Salvatore Giunta
(JUN’-tuh), who was awarded the nation’s highest military honor for
heroism in Afghanistan, says he’s just an average soldier.
Giunta spoke at the Air Force Academy last week. His comments
were posted on the academy’s web site.
The Iowa native is the first living service member to receive
the Medal of Honor since the Vietnam War.
In 2007, he exposed himself to enemy fire to pull a soldier back
to cover and shot two insurgents who were trying to carry away
another U.S. soldier.
He says his comrades were all in it together and he got the
medal because “they had to give it to one person.”
The Army says Guinta plans to leave the service and move to
Colorado to attend an undisclosed school.

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.