News, January 6th

ASPEN AIRPORT STILL CLOSED FOLLOWING DEADLY PLANE CRASH

Aspen—All flights out of the Aspen-Pitkin County Airport have been canceled today due to the ongoing investigation into yesterday’s deadly plane crash.  The crash of the Bombardier Challenger 600 occurred just before 12:30.  Three men, all pilots from Mexico were on board.  54 year old co-pilot Sergio Brabata was killed.  A man identified as Miguel Henriquez suffered severe injuries and was flown to Saint Mary’s Hospital in Grand Junction.  He is listed in critical condition.  The third man, Moises Carranza, suffered moderate injuries and is listed in serious condition.  Investigators with the National Transportation Safety Board and the Federal Aviation Administration didn’t arrive until late last night and got their first good look at the charred 22-seat Canadair plane this morning.  Public Information Officer Blair Wyer of the Aspen Police Department says a crane and other heavy equipment are being used to carefully remove the wreckage.  Authorities say the flight originated in Tuscon, Arizona.  Airport officials say about three thousand passengers have been impacted so far.

STATE LAWMAKERS READY FOR NEW SESSION

Denver—State lawmaker preparing for the new legislative session are hoping things will be less continuous and more productive.  District 57 Representative Bob Rankin says he’ll work hard to make sure Western Colorado’s needs aren’t forgotten or overshadowed by front range issues.  The new session begins Wednesday morning at 10.

MENTAL EVALUATION TRANSCRIPTS OF AURORA THEATER SHOOTING SUSPECTS KEPT UNDER WRAPS

DENVER (AP) – The judge in the Aurora theater shootings says no transcript will be made public from a closed hearing on whether defendant James Holmes should undergo another psychiatric evaluation. Today’s order also says nine court filings on the issue cannot be released. Holmes has undergone a mandatory sanity evaluation, but the results haven’t been disclosed.

MORE MONEY NEEDED FOR STATE PAROLE SYSTEM

DENVER (AP) – Prison officials are asking Colorado lawmakers for $8 million for parole operation changes aimed at reducing caseloads and helping officers better prepare inmates for release. The Colorado Department of Corrections is discussing the funding request today with the Joint Budget Committee. The Denver Post reports the proposed changes to parole operations require hiring 74 new parole officers.

.

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.