- NEWS NEW MEADOWS APARTMENT BUILDINGS ON HOLD
Glenwood Springs—Groundbreaking on 97 new apartment units at Glenwood Meadows will have to wait a while longer. Last night, the Glenwood Springs City Council, with newly sworn-in members Shelly Kaup, Jonathan Godes and Rick Vorhees, decided to continue the lengthy discussion until the next meeting. Richard Myers with the Texas-based ...
- NEWS SNOWMASS SUMMER PROJECTS APPROVED
Carbondale—A bigger restaurant and improved fiber optics are two of the projects planned for this summer at the Snowmass Ski Area. Today the Aspen-Sopris Ranger District gave final approval to the 2017 projects that also includes a new facility for the ski patrol at the top of Sam’s Knob. The popular Sam’s ...
- NEWS ANOTHER GARCO EMPLOYEE GUILTY OF EMBEZZLING
Glenwood Springs—For the third time in five years a Garfield County employee is caught stealing. Alicia Macias pled guilty to embezzling $18,000 while working for the Clerk and Recorder’s Office from 2011 to 2015. As part of her plea for felony embezzlement, another count of felony theft was dropped. The ...
- Smoke in the Air Today from Controlled Burn Federal Fire managers are conducting a controlled burn today in the area of West Divide Creek. Smoke is visible throughout the Colorado and Roaring Fork Valleys.
The intent of today’s burn is to improve wildlife habitat within the project areas, with an emphasis on enhancing mule deer and other large game winter and transition range forage.
- Glenwood Man Dies in UTV Crash A Glenwood man is dead following a tragic accident involving a “Utility Task Vehicle” or UTV Saturday north of Rifle.
According to reports from the Garfield County Sheriff’s Office and Garfield County Coroner Robert Glassmire, the victim, 53-year-old Todd Sellie, was riding a 2013 Arctic Cat Wildcat side-by-side near the nine mile mark on JQS Road Saturday afternoon ...
- Carbondale Barn Total Loss Following Fire Carbondale firefighters responded to a structure fire on Goose Creek Lane near County Road 100 just before noon today. According to Mike Wagner with the Carbondale & Rural Fire Protection District, firefighters found a barn fully engulfed in flames when they arrived. The barn collapsed a short time later.
Wagner says the fire was contained to ...
- GLENWOOD SPRINGS ELECTION RESULTS GLENWOOD VOTERS LIKE KAUP, GODES FOR COUNCIL
Shelly Kaup 811 votes
Charles Willman 724 votes
Jonathan Gorst 201 votes
Rick Davis 198
Rick Voorhees unopposed
Jonathan Godes 272
- NEWS LITTLETON MAN KILLED IN ROLLOVER NEAR NEW CASTLE
New Castle—The man who died in Sunday’s rollover accident near New Castle was identified as 65 year old Christopher Timmes of Littleton. Garfield County Coroner Robert Glassmire says Timmes died of blunt force injuries and determined the crash was an accident. Timmes was wearing a seatbelt. According to ...
- NEWS RIFLE MAN SOUGHT IN MURDER OF SON-IN-LAW
Rifle—The Rifle Police Department along with county and state authorities are looking for the man suspected of shooting and killing his son-in-law Wednesday night outside a North Rifle apartment building. An an arrest warrant for first degree murder has been issued for 45 year old Michael Francis Montgomery in ...
- Arrest Warrant Issued for Shooting Suspect Rifle Police and others are investigating a deadly shooting that occurred Wednesday night near Wamsley Elementary School. According to Rifle Police Chief Tommy Klein, dispatchers received a call reporting shots fired in the 2600 block of Acacia Avenue (near the Dearfield Park Subdivision) just before 8 o’clock. When officers arrived, they found the victim, 28 year ...
- KMTS BASEBALL: DEMONS, HUSKIES PLAY FREEZE-TAG IN SPLIT EDWARDS (4/29/17) – Baseball in December? Two days from May, and it felt like winter ball as Glenwood Springs and Battle Mountain split an error-plagued doubleheader where it was 32 degrees at first pitch of game one, and snowing by the time Chano Gonzalez struck out the final hitter in an 18-4, five-inning Demon victory ...
- SPORTS HIGH SCHOOL BASEBALL
Roaring Fork travels to Coal Ridge for a 3 o’clock game this afternoon. The game will be broadcast live on the internet at KMTS.com and rebroadcast on the radio at 7 pm.
Rifle—The Rifle Invitational tees off at 10 am at Rifle Creek.
Aspen takes on Glenwood at the Glenwood Springs Community Center at ...
- KMTS Baseball: SUMMIT SWEEPS GLENWOOD OUT OF FIRST GLENWOOD SPRINGS(4/8/17) – Gathered inside the announcer’s booth to eat their lunch and get out of the wind between games of a doubleheader they would eventually drop to Summit County, several Glenwood Springs’ baseball players shook their heads in agreement on Tiger pitcher Andrew Shaw, who had just fired a 3-hit, 15-strikeout shutout: he was ...
- KMTS BASEBALL: Romero Hurls Demons into First Place Tie GLENWOOD SPRINGS (4/5) – Steven Romero unveiled a new pitch in a 6-0 win over Eagle Valley, using a swift-breaking curveball to record six of his nine strikeouts, handing the Devils their first league loss and vaulting Glenwood Springs on top of the Western Slope League with a 3-0 record.
Tristen Howe’s 2-run double capped a ...
- SPORTS HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
Glenwood at Vail Mountain 4 pm
Glenwood at Fruita Monument 5 pm
Coal Ridge at Roaring Fork 4 pm
Basalt at Vail Christian 3 pm
Hotchkiss at Coal Ridge 4pm
Rangely at Grand Valley 4pm
Meeker at Roaring ...
- SPORTS HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS SCHEDULE
Roaring Fork at Hotchkiss 4 pm
Steamboat at Glenwood Springs 4 pm
Glenwood at Palisade 4 pm
Roaring Fork at Rifle 4 pm
Montrose at Coal Ridge 4 pm
MORE BAD NEWS FOR THE ROCKIES
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) – Colorado Rockies catcher Tom Murphy will miss four to six weeks with a hairline fracture in his right forearm. Manager ...
- SPORTS LONGHORNS LOSE HEARTBREAKING GREAT 8 GAME
STATE 3A BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT
Denver—The magical 2016-17 season for the Basalt Longhorns came to end last night at the University of Denver’s Hamilton Gymnasium. The 9th seeded Longhorns, led by Western Slope League Player of the Year Michael Glen’s 31 points, had the Kent Denver Sun Devils on their heels most ...
- KMTS BASKETBALL: Rifle Run Ends One Game Shy of Final Four WINDSOR (3/3/17) – There were tears all around as the Rifle Lady Bears’ run from the thirteen seed to the Final Four, and their 17-game winning streak, came to an end, 56-43 on the home court of number-five seed Windsor Friday night.
The Wizards (20-6), who finished second in the Tri-Valley League, came out blazing, making ...
- KMTS BASKETBALL: Rifle Girls Ride Overtime Win to Great Eight COLORADO SPRINGS (2/28/17) — “All year we believed we could do this — a 13-seed upsetting a 4-seed,” Rifle’s Elly Walters said after the Lady Bears did just that in a 42-35 overtime win at Air Academy Tuesday. Distributing praise to her teammates in a post-game interview as well as assists on the court, Walters ...
- KMTS BASKETBALL: Demons Fall to Defending State Champs, 100-49 PUEBLO (2/25/17) – Pueblo West is the defending 4A state champion “for a reason,” Glenwood Springs coach Cory Hitchcock said after his team witnessed the Cyclones’ furious style of play in a 100-49 second-round state tournament elimination Saturday. “They’ve got scorers, size, and a chance to win it all again,” Hitchcock observed.
David Simental exceeded his ...