- Portion of Grand Avenue Bridge Falls Onto Railroad Tracks Shortly after 8:00 tonight, a portion of the Grand Avenue Bridge fell onto the Union Pacific Railroad tracks in Glenwood Springs. It’s not known if this collapse was intentional, but use of the Colorado River has been restricted since Monday at midnight as a precaution.
- NEWS GARCO LOOKING FOR PARTY STATUS IN AIR QUALITY CONTROL
Glenwood Springs—What’s right for the front range may not be right for the Western Slope. Garfield County Commissioner Tom Jankovsky wants a place at the table when it comes to air quality control. The board is asking for party status to have a say on statewide air ...
- GWS Police Seek Hit-and-Run Driver Glenwood Springs police are asking for the public’s help in finding a hit-and-run driver who fled from a head-on accident in West Glenwood last weekend that sent two people to the hospital in serious condition.
Investigators say that a 1999 Chevrolet Silverado was traveling east on Highway 6 just after 9:30 Sunday night when it hit ...
- Colorado Man Nabbed in NYC A 25-year-old man from Colorado has been arrested in New York on charges of possessing 40 pounds of the highly potent drug fentanyl.
Carlos Ramirez, of Lakewood, was arraigned Tuesday in Manhattan on charges of criminal possession of a controlled substance.
Authorities say it was the largest DEA seizure of fentanyl in New York history.
Prosecutors say Ramirez ...
- Unique Water Rights Deal A growing Colorado community will get some of its water from a farm that will continue operating under a deal that’s believed to be the first of its kind in the state.
Larimer County commissioners voted Tuesday to sell and lease some of the water rights of a county-owned farm to the city and county of ...
- Utah Mine Spill Suit The state of Utah is suing Colorado mine owners and contractors for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency over a massive mine waste spill that fouled rivers in three Western states with a plume of bright-yellow wastewater tainted by arsenic, lead and other heavy metals.
Utah Attorney General spokesman Dan Burton said Tuesday the state wants cleanup ...
- River Death – Downtown Denver Authorities say one man died and another managed to fight his way back to shore after the two were swept down a fast-moving river near downtown Denver yesterday.
Firefighters pulled an unconscious man from the South Platte River early Tuesday. He later died at a nearby hospital.
Searchers found the other man alive near Confluence Park about ...
- Fire Captain Found Dead A Louisiana fire captain who was wanted for killing his wife in Mississippi has been found dead in western Colorado.
48-year-old Rudolf “Rudi” Shoats was accused of killing his wife, 45-year-old Khristie Rollins Shoats, on Sunday.
Wilkinson County, Mississippi, Sheriff Reginald Jackson says Rudolf pulled into an emergency parking lot in Durango on Monday. Jackson says shortly ...
- Seizing Hiker Rescued Rescuers with the Pitkin County Sheriff’s Office and Mountain Rescue Aspen had to rescue a female hiker near Crater Lake yesterday evening, and ended up having to evacuate her via helicopter due to a medical emergency.
Authorities received the first indication of trouble when the Ohio woman apparently activated an emergency beacon around 6 pm. While ...
- John Bowlen Arrest Warrant Legal problems are stacking up for John Bowlen, the son of Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen, following his arrest for drunken driving in California this past weekend – he’s facing trouble back here at home too.
On Tuesday, an Arapahoe County Judge issued another arrest warrant for Bowlen, saying that the arrest in California constitutes a ...
- SPORTS EMOTIONAL NIGHT AT COORS FIELD
Denver—Rockies fans had to pull out the hankies last night to honor the franchise’s first manager, Don Baylor who died last week after a long battle with cancer. Then there were tears of joy as pitcher Chad Bettis returned to the mound for the first time since being diagnosed with testicular ...
- SPORTS MLB/ROCKIES OPEN SECOND HALF OF SEASON IN NY
New York, NY—Colorado Rockies’ right-handed ace Jon Gray toes the rubber tonight against the New York Mets at Citi Field. The Mets counter with righty Jacob DeGrom. The Rockies are looking to get hot once again after their “June Swoon” that finds them in third place in the ...
- SPORTS MIAMI (AP) — In Tuesday’s All-Star game in Miami, NL manager Joe Maddon’s batting order has Colorado center fielder Charlie Blackmon leading off, followed by Miami’s Giancarlo Stanton as the designated hitter. Washington right fielder Bryce Harper is third, followed by San Francisco catcher Buster Posey, Washington second baseman Daniel Murphy, Colorado third baseman Nolan ...
- SPORTS BRONCOS SIGN A NEW PLAYER
ENGLEWOOD (AP) – The Denver Broncos have signed six-year veteran cornerback Chris Lewis-Harris and waived cornerbackTaurean Nixon 24 hours after his pick-6 of Paxton Lynch at the team’s mandatory minicamp. Lewis-Harris spent four full seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals before splitting last season between the Bengals and Baltimore Ravens.
Broncos coach Vance Joseph ...
- NEWS LOCAL BASEBALL PLAYERS EARN POST SEASON HONORS
4A Western Slope 1st team All Conference
Glenwood Springs Demons
Sebastian “Chano” Gonzalez, SS /Pitcher Tyler Boyd, 2B
Takoda Cheney, Pitcher/INF Bryer Rew, INF Gabe Marbas, Catcher
Brandon Benzel, 1B
Derek Wagler, SS Drake Montgomery, OF
MLB / ROCKIES
PHILADELPHIA (AP) – Tommy Joseph hit a tying ...
- SPORTS GIRLS HIGH SCHOOL SOCCER PLAYOFFS–4A
Pueblo Centennial—3 Glenwood Springs—2
#17 Coal Ridge vs. # 16Resurrection Christian at Jefferson Academy, Friday, May 12th 5pm
#19 Basalt vs. # 14 Salida at Manitou Springs High School, Friday, May 12th 6pm
#21 Aspen vs. # 13 Middle Park at Liberty Common, Friday, May 12th
HIGH SCHOOL ...
- KMTS BASEBALL: DEMONS, HUSKIES PLAY FREEZE-TAG IN SPLIT EDWARDS (4/29/17) – Baseball in December? Two days from May, and it felt like winter ball as Glenwood Springs and Battle Mountain split an error-plagued doubleheader where it was 32 degrees at first pitch of game one, and snowing by the time Chano Gonzalez struck out the final hitter in an 18-4, five-inning Demon victory ...
- SPORTS HIGH SCHOOL BASEBALL
Roaring Fork travels to Coal Ridge for a 3 o’clock game this afternoon. The game will be broadcast live on the internet at KMTS.com and rebroadcast on the radio at 7 pm.
Rifle—The Rifle Invitational tees off at 10 am at Rifle Creek.
Aspen takes on Glenwood at the Glenwood Springs Community Center at ...
- KMTS Baseball: SUMMIT SWEEPS GLENWOOD OUT OF FIRST GLENWOOD SPRINGS(4/8/17) – Gathered inside the announcer’s booth to eat their lunch and get out of the wind between games of a doubleheader they would eventually drop to Summit County, several Glenwood Springs’ baseball players shook their heads in agreement on Tiger pitcher Andrew Shaw, who had just fired a 3-hit, 15-strikeout shutout: he was ...
- KMTS BASEBALL: Romero Hurls Demons into First Place Tie GLENWOOD SPRINGS (4/5) – Steven Romero unveiled a new pitch in a 6-0 win over Eagle Valley, using a swift-breaking curveball to record six of his nine strikeouts, handing the Devils their first league loss and vaulting Glenwood Springs on top of the Western Slope League with a 3-0 record.
Tristen Howe’s 2-run double capped a ...