Glenwood Springs—A Glenwood Springs man is behind bars for allegedly spiking his wife’s tea with a sleeping pill last Saturday night before leaving her in the family vehicle with the engine running and the garage door closed.  41 year old Byron Gardner appeared before a Garfield County Magistrate Monday on charges of attempted first degree murder and two counts of child abuse. Gardner, who is said to have mental problems, reportedly told police he suspected his wife was leaving him.  Gardner supposedly told officers he duped his wife into thinking he was planning a special evening when he made her a cup of tea with a ground up sleeping pill then led her to their SUV when she began to get drowsy.  Mrs. Gardner managed to get away and called police and when they arrived, officers say she was disoriented, vomiting and had bloodshot eyes.  Officials with the Glenwood Springs Fire Department say the carbon monoxide levels in the house were lethal and the woman and two children were lucky to be alive.  Mrs. Gardner was taken to a hospital in Denver for further treatment while the two kids were handed over to relatives.  Byron Gardner’s bond is set at a half million dollars. 


Grand Junction—The Mesa County Sheriff’s Deputy who was shot several times by a teen age boy Monday morning died today at Saint Mary’s Hospital in Grand Junction. According to reports from the Mesa County Sheriff’s Office, 40 year old Deputy Derek Geer was pulled off life support once arrangements were made to donate his organs.  On it’s Facebook page earlier today, the Sheriff’s office posted a release that read: “Unfortunately, Deputy Geer’s condition has not improved. He is on life-support so he can perform one last selfless act of service by donating his organs.”  According to reports, Deputy Geer was responding to a call of someone walking around Grand Junction with a gun. That person was a 17 year old boy who became combative, forcing Geer to use his tazer. Despite being shot with the tazer, the boy managed to fire off several rounds and hit Deputy Geer before running away. He was caught about an hour later and will likely face a first degree murder charge. Geer, a Navy veteran who’s been with the Mesa County Sheriff’s Office for 15 years was rushed to Saint Mary’s Hospital clinging to life..  Deputy Geer leaves behind a wife and two children, ages 11 and 13.  The name of the suspect has not been released.