News, December 7th


Glenwood Springs–Despite the protests of some angry
citizens, the Glenwood Springs City Council unanimously endorsed C-DOT’s alternative to build the new Grand Avenue Bridge. Several members of the group, “Citizens to Save Grand Avenue” said a new bridge is a waste of taxpayer money that would be better spent on a bypass for Highway 82. Council members say the endorsement of the plan is simply to move it on for environmental review. The council agreed that a better access plan must be included in future discussions.


Carbondale–The Grand Avenue Bridge isn’t the only one in the valley in need of repair. The cost to widen the Catherine Store Bridge to handle truck traffic from the new waste transfer station will cost at least a half million dollars. The bridge improvements will be added to the Garfield County Commissioner’s discussion about the MRI waste station next Tuesday morning at 9.

DURANGO–(AP) – Authorities in southwestern Colorado plan to search a common route between Durango and Vallecito on Saturday for clues in the disappearance of a 13-year-old boy. The La Plata County Sheriff’s Office says the search for Dylan Redwine isn’t prompted by any new leads, but authorities want to probe ditches along La Plata County Road 240 in advance of a snowstorm that is expected to move through the area Saturday night.
Dylan was reported missing Nov. 19 and was last seen wearing a black T-shirt and a “Duke Blue Devils” baseball cap. The boy’s father, Mark Redwine, says he left his son at his Vallecito-area home while he ran errands. Dylan lives with his mother in Colorado Springs but was visiting his dad for Thanksgiving as part of a court order. Authorities don’t believe the boy ran away.

GRAND JUNCTION (AP) – A Mesa County judge has blocked the cremation of the remains of two children who died after they were left alone in an SUV. The boys’ grandmother, Diane Mathena, wants Tyler and William Jensen buried next to their father in Palisade, while the mother wants them cremated. The remains have already been turned over to a funeral home for cremation, but that’s now on hold. The mother, Heather Jensen, has not responded to requests for comment. So far, no charges have been filed after 4-year-old Tyler and 2-year-old William were found unconscious after their mother left them alone in her SUV more than a week ago and they later died.