News, October 31st

Glenwood Springs–The British man accused of murdering his wife and dumping her body in a remote part of western Garfield County won’t be tried until next spring. The first degree murder trial of 49 year old Marcus Bebb-Jones was supposed to begin next Monday, November 5th. For unknown reasons, the trial in the 15 year old murder case was moved to April 1st. Authorities say Bebb-Jones killed his Vietnamese-born wife Sabrina in 1997 and dumped her body near near Dinosaur National Monument. The now infamous poker player was extradited to Garfield County from Britain last year.

Basalt–The Basalt Police Department is now being supervised by a pair of sergeants; Stu Curry and Penny Paxton. The reason? The man who’s been the police chief since 2007 has been placed on paid leave by the town. Chief Roderick O’Conoor was placed on paid leave by town officials earlier this month but no one is saying why.

PALISADE (AP) – The town of Palisade is looking for a new chief after a shakeup in the police department. Longtime Palisade Police Chief Carroll Quarles is out of a job, but no one is giving a reason.
In the meantime, Palisade’s police department will be headed over the coming months by a high-ranking Grand Junction police officer. Palisade town trustees reached for comment said they were told about the changes last week, but they were not told why.

ASPEN- A Carbondale man has pleaded guilty to four misdemeanors for killing of a bear at the Pitkin County landfill. Jesse Schoeller was ordered Tuesday to pay nearly $3,000 in fines and court costs for killing the bear out of season. Schoeller was an employee of the landfill when he and a friend went to the site on Sept. 1, a day before the black bear archery season began. Schoeller lost his job after the incident.

DENVER (AP) – Flights have resumed between Denver and the New York area following Hurricane Sandy but travelers are being warned to check their flight status because of the backlog created by the storm. Two of the largest airports serving New York – Newark and John F. Kennedy – re-opened Wednesday but were operating on a limited basis. Hurricane Sandy canceled thousands of flights across the country over the past three days. Airlines positioned planes at airports around the country, including Denver’s, to escape the storm and to help resume flights after the reopening of East Coast airports.