Raccoon Power Outage

Nearly three dozen homeowners in Craig can blame a weekend power outage and fire on an unexpected culprit – a raccoon.

Yampa Valley Electric Member Outreach Specialist Tammi Strickland says the raccoon had climbed on a power pole transformer, causing it to spark and igniting a fire that burned about 7 acres on private property southwest of Craig.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze in about an hour. The unintentional masked vandal knocked out power to a total of 31 homes, but fortunately, no structures were impacted by the fire.

Strickland says the raccoon unfortunately did not survive the incident.

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.